[LON-CAPA-admin] autoenroll.log

Neubauer, Paul pneubauer at bsu.edu
Mon Jan 7 08:07:34 EST 2013

Hi all,

Thanks to a lot of good help from Stewart, we have autoenrollment working and shibboleth is providing authentication.

Now I'm trying to make better use of the log so that I have a reasonable chance of catching errors or other problems.

Unfortunately, /home/httpd/perl/logs/autoenroll.log arrives every morning with hundreds of lines, most of which are of the form:
Auto-enrollment not currently enabled for 1Q746312661a84458bsul1

It appears that the autoenroll process logs the fact that every course we have ever had on LON-CAPA is not currently being autoenrolled. Course 1Q746312661a84458bsul1 may be ASTR100 Fall 2003, but I can't tell what it is from the log.

And then there are messages like:
No institutional classlist data could be retrieved for 1W7361372b42a500dbsul1

I have no idea what class 1W7361372b42a500dbsul1 is.  I know it is not one of the current ones, so I am guessing that it is one from a past term that somehow got marked for autoenrollment even though we were not doing autoenrollment before this immediately past semester.

So my most urgent question is: is there a way to retrieve course information based on the "affiliate" id? It doesn't have to be something within LON-CAPA proper, in fact, I'd prefer something that could generate a plain text file. If anyone has a clue for me on constructing a MySQL query against the database so that I can extract that information, I could use that.  Basically, I'd like to filter out the past courses from autoenroll.log so I can see what is happening to the current courses without all the noise from irrelevant courses. I can do that in many different ways, I'm sure, but it strikes me that simply generating a list of what all the courses in the database are/have been (particularly by "affiliate" id, which is all the course identification that is in the log) would give me a relatively straightforward start on such a filter so I can say:

I don't need 1Q746312661a84458bsul1
I DO need 2U380410d38cf5008bsul1
I don't need 2b739135e6f2a50e9bsul1
etc.