[LON-CAPA-admin] Re-linking or deleting a student's account

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Tue Feb 19 15:11:24 EST 2013

Hi,

What you will need to do as Domain Coordinator is to use the web GUI:

Main Menu -> Create users or modify the roles and privileges of users
->  Add/Modify a User

to change the StudentID of the account for the *correct* username to
something you will never use, but is not null, with the checkbox
checked for:

"Disable Student/Employee ID Safeguard and force change of conflicting IDs
(only do if you know what you are doing.) "

Then repeat the procedure, again for the account with the *correct*
username, but this time enter the correct value for the StudentID,
again with the checkbox checked for:

"Disable Student/Employee ID Safeguard and force change of conflicting IDs
(only do if you know what you are doing.) "

Based on your description it seems likely that a user account already
existed in your LON-CAPA domain for the "correct" username, but the
addition of the incorrect account (with complete e-mail address as
username) overwrote the entry for the StudentID in the folowing GDBM
file:

/home/httpd/lonUsers/ndsu/ids.db

The procedure I describe should correct that issue. You'll be able to
check if that is so from the command line using:

/home/httpd/perl/debug/dump_db.pl -u /home/httpd/lonUsers/ndsu/ids.db
|grep <studentID>

replacing <studentID> with the "correct" studentID number (lower
case), both before and after using the web GUI to make fix the problem.

Let me know the issue remains unresolved and I can provide additional
information on how to modify the GDBM file directly.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium