[LON-CAPA-admin] Remote control

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Jun 22 13:45:14 EDT 2012

Hi,

> When I log in as the domain coordinator, I used to get the remote
> control, but I don't anymore and I don't see any drop-down menus
> either.

After logging into LON-CAPA you can use:

Main Menu -> Set my user preferences -> Launch Remote Control
to launch the pop-up Remote Control

if the Remote Control is not currently active.

Launch of the remote control requires your browser settings to allow
pop-ups (e.g., from the server running your LON-CAPA session).

Closing the Remote Control pop-up window will cause the setting
preserved in your environment.db to be changed, so the next time you
log-in, the Remote Control will not be launched.

By default, new LON-CAPA user accounts created in the past several
years have the remote control *not* set to be launched, but the inline
menu is used instead.

I looked in
> /home/httpd/lonUsers/bsu/b/s/u/bsudc and something like
> environment.db seems like a logical choice, but I can't read
> anything from that. What would happen if I were to delete it?

Yes, /home/httpd/lonUsers/bsu/b/s/u/bsudc/environment.db is where the
setting is preserved.

I see no benefit from deleting environment.db for the bsudc user,
although that file could be recovered from environment.hist if it were
to be deleted by mistake.

If you want to view the contents of your environment.db file, as DC
you can use:

Main menu -> Status of domain servers -> User Environment for current log-in

Look for: environment.remote

on that page (value is "on", if RC is in use for your username:domain).

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group