[LON-CAPA-admin] Change history between LON-CAPA 2.10.0.RC2 and 2.10.0
raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Jun 1 18:04:48 EDT 2011
New Version 2.10.0 Released
Please refer to my "LON-CAPA Version 2.10.0" posting to the
lon-capa-admin mailing list:
or the README file in the uncompressed tarball for the release
notes and installation instructions for 2.10.0.
Below I summarize changes between the Testing release: 2.10.0.RC2
and the official 2.10.0 (final release).
Thank you to all domains who installed 2.10.0.RC2 and provided
It is highly recommended that domains running 2.10.0.RC2 update to
Changes from 2.10.0.RC2
General User Interface
- The "Menu Display" item has been reinstated in the
User Preferences page so LON-CAPA users who have previously
set it may change it. Although the "buttons + text" option
is deprecated, the" icons" and "icons + text" options are
available for selection.
- Inclusion of a "Course Contents" item within a folder for
which "URL hidden" is set no longer results in "access denied"
for student access to the Course Contents page.
- Users with math display set to mimetex will no longer be
affected by occasional "quoted execution" errors which prevent
vertical alignment of inline math expressions on Apache/SSL servers.
- A bug is fixed which could corrupt the course environment cached
for a user session causing a "course is empty" message.
- Linked dropdown lists for official courses in the catalog now
work when categories differ from the standard names:
Year, Semester, Department, Course.
- Subject for notification e-mail uses subject line from
corresponding LON-CAPA message, with [LON-CAPA] prepended.
- Appropriate text in Previous Tries pop-up for optionresponse
submissions (where graded "leniently").
- A message is sent to the requestor of a course when a
request for an official course, queued pending validation
of instructor of record, is validated and created.
- A bug is fixed which could occasionally cause grading
discrepancies for case sensitive/insensitive string
response items, when a student submits the same response
to the same problem part more than once.
- Edit link to coursepreferences for Course Coordinators
if external syllabus replaces LON-CAPA syllabus.
- The testbank import interface to support import of a testbank
of questions in plain text/RTF or HTML format works again.
- Externalresponse supports award of partial credit for
submissions graded partially correct by external grader.
Domain Coordination/Domain Settings
- A script is available for running from the command line
(as root) to expire DC roles for domains/users on server.
- Co-ownership information is available when a customized
localenroll.pm module negotiates access to classlist data
for an official course from an institutional data source.
- E-mail sent by the "Ask Helpdesk" form includes correct
header information again.
- Domain Coordinator Manual has been updated.
- Advice provided for use of SSL with Apache, and also use of
SSL for internal communication between LON-CAPA servers.
- Contextual help added for Course/Community requests.
- Latency eliminated when retrieving data from other servers
where an existing connection in the LON-CAPA network
had been silently dropped (e.g., by an intermediate router).
- An Apache config file is available to rewrite external
requests for http:// to https:// for servers running SSL.
The default is for no rewrites.
- LONCAPA is now supported on additional Linux distros/versions:
Debian 5 and 6, Ubuntu LTS 8 and 10, SuSE 11.4, Fedora 15,
Scientific Linux 6
- A unified server set-up script is available for all supported
Linux distros: http://install.loncapa.org/linux/install.tar
This script is used to prepare a server for LON-CAPA, and is
run after installing the LONCAPA-prerequisites package, but
before running ./UPDATE to install the LON-CAPA application.
- /etc/init.d/loncontrol restart will check firewall status for
port 5663, (in the same way as the nightly run of loncron does)
and will open up the port for any new additions to the cluster
since the last loncron run.
- Updates to cluster host tables for LON-CAPA "DNS" servers run
by Academic Consortium institutions can be completed remotely
by the LON-CAPA network manager.
- CHECKRPMS used to check if package updates are needed now
uses zypper for SLES11
- New translations and improvements for German interface.
- A few remaining German defaults for untranslated phrases
in simplified Chinese interface switched to English.
Specific bugs addressed by changes between 2.10.0.RC2 and 2.10.0 final.
5531, 5925, 6287, 6320, 6333, 6348, 6356, 6377, 6413, 6417, 6419,
6424, 6429, 6430, 6434, 6453
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium
More information about the LON-CAPA-admin