[LON-CAPA-admin] Lon-capa SSL - system-wide?

loncapa_admin loncapa_admin at johnabbott.qc.ca
Tue Sep 15 09:48:19 EDT 2009

Hi Eric,

On 2009-09-15, at 08:24 , Eric Harvey wrote:
>Is this method for setting up SSL communications still valid

It worked for me several months back on LON-CAPA 2.8.1.

>Do we need a separate key for each machine?

I believe so.  At least that's what we did.

>Is this method just for setting up intra-server communications?

Yes.  This is only for encrypting the traffic on port 5663 (LON-CAPA inter-server communications).

>If so, how would we set up SSL (https/443) on the front-end as well?

To do this, you need to enable mod_ssl in Apache, and you'll probably want to write some mod-rewrite rules to redirect http connections to https.  You'll also probably want to get a code-signing authority (e.g., VeriSign, or the much cheaper GoDaddy) to sign your certificates... otherwise users will get a warning message when they try to connect.

Details can be found at the link below:
http://marc.info/?l=lon-capa-admin&m=115867682008939&w=2

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
Michael Dugdale
Department of Physics
John Abbott College

Eric Harvey
VCU Learning Systems
(804)828-8595

Don't be a phishing victim - VCU and other reputable organizations will never use email to request that you reply with your
password, social security number or confidential personal information. For more details visit http://infosecurity.vcu.edu/phishing.html

Michael Dugdale
Department of Physics
John Abbott College