[LON-CAPA-admin] Re: upgrading

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Fri Dec 17 09:42:48 EST 2004

Hi Hon-Kie,

> >>1. Is it safe to upgrade to perl 5.8.6? Currently, it is 5.8.3.
> >
> >I'm not sure what you mean by "Safe".  If this is a LON-CAPA server, I
> >don't understand why you'd be installing Oracle and in fact I would advise
> >against doing.
>
> Safe as to whether lon-capa will run. I need oracle for the auto-enrollment.

Well we don't know if it'll run, it is likely to cause issues with at
least some of the horde of perl modules we need.

It might be safeest for you to install a second perl in /usr/local/bin
which is what perl does by default if you download it and
build/install it.

Then the /usr/local/bin/perl will look in /usr/local/lib for it
modules and thus not disturb the 5.8.3 perl that lon-capa is using.

Sound doable?

--
guy at albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-2-