[LON-CAPA-admin] course problem versions differ between servers

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Oct 5 15:21:31 EDT 2009

Jana,

The solution to which you referred:

http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-admin/2009-June/002237.html

which described modifying the DOCS sequence is appropriate for
updating an "uploaded" file (this is the case for a folder (internally
a .sequence file) modified via DOCS), which for some reason had not
got updated.  A subsequent post:

http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-admin/2009-June/002241.html

discussed the different approaches for "uploaded" and "imported" files.

In the current case you are reporting the file which was updated (and
republished) on the library server had been imported into a course.
For this type of "imported" file, LON-CAPA's subscription
infrastructure plays a role in causing the corresponding replicated
copy on the access server to get updated. Modifying DOCS will not
solve the issue; republication should, although LON-CAPA was designed
to handle this situation without the need for intervention (see below).

It appears that in this case the notification from the library server
to the access server could not be made at the time of publication
because the library server was unable to connect to the access server.
  In that case a delayed message would have been placed in a queue on
the library server /home/httpd/sockets/delayed/.  Delayed messages in
the queue should be sent the next time a new connection is
successfully established between the library server and the access
server.  This activity is logged in
/home/httpd/perl/logs/lonnet.perm.log on the library server.

Entries beginning "<timestamp>:D:" are delayed messages, whereas
entries beginning "<timestamp>:S::sethost:" record when delayed
messages were successfully sent from the delayed queue.  In both cases
<timestamp> is the UNIX timestamp when the transaction occurred.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group