[LON-CAPA-admin] Server upgrade FC5 -> Fedora 8

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Fri Jan 18 09:44:56 EST 2008

Hi,

On Jan 18, 2008, at 8:34 AM, Stefan Bisitz wrote:

> Stuart Peter Raeburn wrote:
>> New Version 2.6.0 Released
>> [...]
>> (Fedora Core 5 should continue to work but is deprecated.)
>
> We are running FC5 on our two servers and like to upgrade to Fedora
> 8 in
> the near future.
>
> Is there anybody who already upgraded a LON-CAPA server from an old
> Fedora version to a newer one, best of course would be from FC5 to
> Fedora 8?

I did that to one of my workstations, going from Core 5 to Core 8
using only "yum"

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

- it worked, but took me basically one complete day to sort out the
dependencies.

The little paragraph "yum might complain about conflicts or
requirements. That is probably because you have used non-standard
repositories or installed non-standard packages manually." is what
will take you the most time. Key was to "yum remove LONCAPA-
prerequisites" and re-install them when everything was done. Also,
for some reason, on my workstation OpenOffice.org was installed,
which I removed for good (since it was the biggest source of stupid
dependencies).

> We have some experience: we changed our server hardware, the IP
> address
> and the host name, but that's the actual reason for asking. You will
> understand that we don't want to repeat such a work. If possible,
> we do
> not want to save and transfer the linux users, home and other
> directories, etc. It would be nice to just upgrade the OS and keep all
> the LON-CAPA data and settings. Do we have a chance?

Yes, but it takes some downtime.

BTW, I would consider cross-upgrading to CentOS, http://
www.centos.org/ . Some of the folks contributing to Fedora apparently
only think in terms of workstations ...