[LON-CAPA-admin] RHEL Alternatives

Stuart Peter Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Jun 25 17:25:33 EDT 2007

Hi Mark,

As CentOS, Scientific Linux and White Box are community builds based on the
source RPMs for RHEL my expectation is that LON-CAPA will run successfully
on these distros with little modification.  The plan has always been to add
installation instructions and add package repositories for these community
enterprise linux distros.

I just built packages for Centos 5 for 32 bit, and added a yum repository
at:

http://install.loncapa.org/centos/loncapa/5/

I'll be adding 64 bit packages, and both 32 bit and 64 bit packages for
Scientific Linux - http://install.loncapa.org/scientificlinux/5/ - in the
next few days.

I successfully installed the Centos5 LON-CAPA prerequisites and installed
LON-CAPA (I needed to modify distprobe and CHECKRPMS in loncom/build) on a
development server at MSU.

I'll be committing the changes to distprobe and CHECKPMS to CVS, and if
these appear in a future LON-CAPA 2.4.2 release, I'll add installation
instructions for Centos (and most likely Scientific Linux too) to
install.loncapa.org at that time.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group