[LON-CAPA-admin] 2.4.0 Maxima issues

Stuart Peter Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Jun 13 22:41:25 EDT 2007

Hi Stefan and Peter,

I would recommend downloading the new version of LON-CAPA (2.4.1) which
includes (among other thiings) some changes to lonmaxima, loncontrol and
loncron.

The changes to these modules address the situation where
Expect->soft_close() and/or Expect->hard_close() fail to terminate maxima
client processes.  Now in 2.4.1, maxima lisp processes which are no longer
needed are killed off directly, instead of via Expect.pm.

LON-CAPA version 2.4.1 is available from:
http://install.loncapa.org/versions/loncapa-2.4.1.tar.gz

Download and extract the contents of the tar file.  Then
cd loncapa-2.4.1
./UPDATE

Once the update is complete restart loncontrol and httpd
/etc/init.d/loncontrol restart
/etc/init.d/httpd restart

Before restarting loncontrol you may want to terminate any long-running
maxima clients which Expect previously failed to kill, and which are still
consuming CPU resources. The log-in page on polya reports a load of 350%
which suggests that there are some of these unresponsive maxima clients
still running on your library server.  Use

ps -ef |grep maxima

to identify the process IDs (pid) for any long-lived maxima client processes
which are consuming resources, and have failed to terminate.  Look for:

www       pid  .....
/usr/lib/maxima/5.11.0/binary-clisp/lisp.run -q -M
/usr/lib/maxima/5.11.0/binary-clisp/maxima

(where pid is the processID) and use kill -9 pid to kill the process.

Once these have been cleaned up restart loncontrol.
The output from lon-status on polya suggests that you have downgraded to
maxima 5.9.2 as a way to get LON-CAPA problems requiring maxima to work on
your FC5 server.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group