[LON-CAPA-admin] Odd User Management

Stuart Peter Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Aug 30 16:48:07 EDT 2007

Stefan,

The behavior you describe occurred because:

(a) As DC you had enabled institutional directory searching in domain
"fhwf", but localenroll::get_userinfo() had not been customized to support
this functionality.

(b) Your user search for username "bisitz' was set to search the
institutional directory in the "fhwf" domain.

Because of (a) had been enabled, the createuser code permitted your search
in (b), which  failed to find any matches (because no interface existed to
search your university's directory service).

Unfortunately at that point you were presented with a 'Make new user
"bisitz" button, which, as you say made no sense in this context, since a
LON-CAPA account already existed for username "bisitz" in domain "fhwf".

Clicking the button actually took you to a screen, where you could add
co-author or assistant roles, as needed for the existing user: "bisitz" in
domain "fhwf", which is what you had wanted to do. (You would have reached
the same screen directly had your initial search been an "in this domain"
search,  in domain "fwfh" for username: "bisitz".

The code which controls when the "Make new user" button is displayed needs
to be improved from the code shipped with rev 2.5.0; hopefully the necessary
changes will be included with a future rev 2.5.1.  In addition, the response
from the code used for institutional directory searches needs, where the DC
has enabled institutional directory searching, to be able to distinguish
between:

(a) no match is found, where localenroll::get_userinfo() has been customized
and ther really is no match.

and

(b) no match found, because localenroll::get_userinfo() has yet to be
customized.

The release notes for 2.5.1 need to indicate the need to customize
localenroll::get_userinfo() to make institutional directory searching
operative.

> This causes many questions:

As regards specific answers to all but one of your numbered questions:

> 1) Roles screen says: "Author and Co-Author roles are not available on
> servers other than their respective home servers." Does this mean that I
> should not be able to grant the role "Co-Author" to a user which has an
> account an other server? If so, it isn't true anymore. I clearly
> remember that I granted role "Co-Author" for my account on our server to
> Guy's account at msu many months ago.

To replicate what you were able to do many months ago:
(a) Set "Domain/institution to search" to the domain of the user to whom you
wish to grant a co-author role.
(b) Set the search to: "Username is bisitz in this domain".

> 2) The user "bisitz" exisits on fhwf. Why does the search doesn't find it?

Because you searched in an institutional directory, and localenroll.pm had
not been customized to interface to your university's directory search
service.

> 2) User "bisitz" exists on nds and fhwf. I shouldn't be offered to
> CREATE this user as a NEW user. By the way, after clicking on this
> button, I can change the privilegs for the already existing user
> "bisitz" on nds.

I agree this button should not have been displayed.  However, after clicking
it, you should have seen a screen where you could add co-author and
assistant author roles for user "bisitz" from the domain you searched in,
i.e., from "fwfh" not from "nds".

> 3) Do I really want to create a user on my HOME server if I can't find
> the user on ANOTHER server? -> Why the button "Make new user ..." at all?

You can only create new users in the domain of your current role.  So, as an
author you can not create a new user in a different domain in order to
assign him/her a co-author role for your author space.  As the main purpose
of the user search mechanism is to help you find other users in the system,
to limit proliferation of multiple accounts for a single user, you probably
only want to create a new user account if the person really does not have an
existing LON-CAPA account in any domain.

As the same createuser script is used by course coordinators to add/modify
roles in their courses, the thinking is that there is a reason to allow the
addition of new users when the user can't be found (in this case the domain
for the new user will be the domain in which the course itself resides).

Perhaps this same ability should be disabled for authors seeking to add
co-authors/assistant authors, and instead direct this traffic to the Domain
Coordinator.

> 4) Since when and why are authors allowed to create LON-CAPA users?

Using the pre-2.5.0 interface for createuser/modifyuser, the second screen
displayed, permitted creation of a new account following entry of a
username:domain on the first screen which did already not exist in the
LON-CAPA system.  This certainly applied to course coordinators in course
context, and I assume it applied to authors too in author context.

> 6) "Users allowed to search (fhwf)": Who is "not all users"? Means:
> Which users are allowed to execute the directory search if option "all
> users" is unchecked?

This setting is in the "Modify domain configuration" screen used by domain
coordinators.  If "all users" is unchecked then no-one from your domain is
permitted to execute an institutional directory search in your domain. This
isn't very helpful, and should be eliminated, for the case where no types of
user are defined for your institution.  [The "all users" is the default when
localenroll.pm has not been customized.  In this case the routine to be
customized is inst_usertypes().]

The idea is that your institution may only permit institutional directory
searching to be carried out by particular types of users (e.g., Faculty,
Academic Staff, Support Staff, bit not Students).  To allow a domain to
enforce this, inst_usertypes() needs to be customized, and the institutional
type for LON-CAPA users in your domain is maintained by running
Autoupdate.pl

> 7) How is it finally possible to grant "Co-Author" privileges to a user
> on another domain?
See answer to 1.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group