[LON-CAPA-admin] Odd User Management

Felicia Berryman felicia at lon-capa.org
Thu Aug 30 16:11:56 EDT 2007

Hello All,

 From the discussion on user search, I've made the following summary
(sort of like an adhoc usability report???):

First, the comment about the error message, "No match found for this
username (bisitz) in your institution's directory" along with the
Make-new-user button appearing when no institutional directory exists,
is a bug.

As for interface issues, I've summarized:

1. Confusion that co-author is a user that an author can create

2. It is unclear that institutional directory will not work unless one
has customized the localenroll.pm module to search the data base of your
institution.

3. It is not clear that institutional directory means the
directory/database kept by the university/institution separate from
lon-capa such as directories available on a university homepage. On the
same theme, the "selected domain" could possibly be thought of as the
institutional directory.

I'm sure there are many ways to eliminate the above confusing interface
elements.  However, as users we wonder what you would suggest to prevent
problems with each of the above in order for us to make the best
interface design decisions.

Thanks!

Felicia Berryman
MA, Digital Rhetoric and Professional Writing, 2009
Member of the Usability Professionals' Association

--
Felicia Berryman
LON-CAPA Support Coordinator