[LON-CAPA-admin] [was LON-CAPA-users] mass resetting internal aauth passwords

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Thu Sep 14 20:37:28 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Sep 14, 2006, at 8:05 PM, lucasm at ohiou.edu wrote:

> Have fun, Ray. This is a domain coordinator only ability as far as
> I know.

Yep. At some point, I would like to add the functionality that if a
domain coordinator impersonates a course coordinator, they can upload
class lists and overwrite the password. I have spend longer than I
care to admit resetting passwords one-by-one by hand.

> I have considered writing a script to do this, but I'm not sure
> this is sanctioned behavior for root!

A script is the way to go for now, I think. The file is

/home/httpd/lonUsers/(your_domain)/(first)/(second)/(third)/
(username)/password

for example

/home/httpd/lonUsers/msu/k/o/r/kortemey/password

For internally authenticated, it looks like this:

internal:3XbDe45Bh

where the latter is the encrypted password.

Reset one password by hand, and copy that file to the rest of the
users. Somebody probably already has a script like that ...

BTW, the reason that course coordinators cannot do this is that the
confusion would be great if a kid is already in some courses, and
then their password gets messed up because they were added to another
course. We didn't want passwords to bounce around like that at the
discretion of just any course coordinator.

- Gerd.