[LON-CAPA-admin] Bounced email messages

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Thu Mar 16 16:29:01 EST 2006

Hi,

I guess I am telling the students that I expect them to get the
messages, and that it is their business to make sure they do. Also,
we have copies of all messages inside LON-CAPA, and both the students
and I are making extensive use of the internal messaging.

Student normal email has many problems:

* their mailboxes are full
* I had students who forwarded their email from MSU to Hotmail, then
to Yahoo, then back to MSU - the thing actually went around a circle
20 times before I got it back
* they don't read their emails
* they trash their emails and then send you an email asking you what
you had sent
* they get random Yahoo or Hotmail email addresses and then loose
track of them
* their virus-ridden PCs get wiped out, including their pop mail
folders ("what's imap???")

I would put the burden on them and not worry about it.

- Gerd.