[LON-CAPA-admin] Separate server for High Schoolers

Felicia Berryman felicia at lon-capa.org
Fri Jul 7 15:49:02 EDT 2006

Hi Mark,

> (2) Single library server with multiple domains
>     +/-(?) Can student name spaces overlap? I presume author namespaces
>          cannot
>     + Student IDs only have to be unique within the domain
>     + More protective of information (representative of school can more
>       easily take over some DC responsiblities)

You summed it up well.  I think the multiple domain idea is better.
What if a school wants to get its own server or host?  If they do, you
can easily transfer their domain to them.  Plus, I think it is way too
hard to come up with separate usernames across schools.

I don't want to run the risk of advertising hosting, but with the low
cost of hosting, it may be more economical to go through a hosting
company.  Check out www.loncapa.org/hosting.html to look at the hosting
companies and their costs.  Plus, you wouldn't even worry about taking
care of a server.  All you would have to manage is training and
outreach.  They you can use your own servers to grow at Ohio U.

Felicia