[LON-CAPA-admin] upgrade inquires

Neubauer, Paul R. prn at bsu.edu
Fri Jan 6 08:35:40 EST 2006

Hi Guy,

> install.pl, which hung up the terminal at:
> > Compiling pwauth
> > pwauth.c: In function ?
>
> It stopped while doing the pwauth compile? that seems odd, since that
> also needs to finish before the Mysql stuff runs (which seems to have
> at least started since you list it below as having started)

Well, I doubt that the process stopped in the compile. That was just the last output.

> Perhaps you ssh connection died in the middle of the run?

That sounds plausible. Odd, but plausible. I don't often have problems with the ssh connections, but it sounds as likely as anything.

> > So, after a minute or two, I opened another SSH terminal
> window, cd to the installation directory, found
> loncapa_install.log and looked at it.
> >
> > It said:
> > PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
> > To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:
> > /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
> > /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h lon-capa.bsu.edu password
> 'new-password'
> > See the manual for more instructions.
>
> Hrrm, install.pl doesn't generate these messages. Looks like something
> changed in how mysql does stuff. sigh.

Sounds like par for the course. I notice, for example, that the default prompt for FC4 has changed from FC2. Just another of those little things, I guess.

> Can you try this:
>
> mysql -u www --password="localhostkey" loncapa
>
> if you get a prompt type in
>
> show tables;
>
> you should see somthing like:
>
> mysql> show tables;
> +-------------------+
> | Tables_in_loncapa |
> +-------------------+
> | metadata          |

And that's exactly what I got.

> And you are likely good to go.

OK. I'll fire up lon-capa and give it a try. I'll let you know if anything seems wrong.

> If not we'll need to fix up mysql database.
>
> But you should be relatively good to go (some STAT/CHRT functions, and
> resource searching won't work until we do.)

Good to hear. I'll see if we can run some tests on the STAT/CHRT functions.

Thanks much.

Paul