[LON-CAPA-admin] upgrade inquires

Neubauer, Paul R. prn at bsu.edu
Fri Jan 6 16:17:46 EST 2006

Hi again.

> install.pl, which hung up the terminal at:
> >
> > [root at lon-capa installation]# ./install.pl
> > Compiling pwauth
> > pwauth.c: In function ?
>
> It stopped while doing the pwauth compile? that seems odd, since that
> also needs to finish before the Mysql stuff runs (which seems to have
> at least started since you list it below as having started)
>
> Perhaps you ssh connection died in the middle of the run?

I have now run install.pl a number of times and the terminal locks up at the same point each time. I don't have any ideas right now why that should be the case, but coincidental loss of the ssh connection at the same point 4 or 5 times seems unlikely. The process definitely continues on from there and the loncapa_install.log contains the lines:

Compiling pwauth
apparent success compiling pwauth:
gcc -g    -c -o pwauth.o pwauth.c
gcc -o pwauth -g  pwauth.o -lcrypt
Copying pwauth to /usr/local/sbin

Later runs of install.pl also contain:

Mysql daemon is running.

Retrieved MySQL root password.
Starting mysql client.

Setting httpd to start on boot up.
Copying our httpd.conf to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

Then comes the fetch and extraction of LON-CAPA files. I find another new "feature" of the installation that I consider a bug. Fortunately it hasn't actually crashed the installation for me now, but when I was running FC2, my / filesystem was a lot smaller and I didn't have room to run the extraction there. (I ran out of space on / before completion.) So I created a /home/root directory where I could download and run the installation. HOWEVER, the current version of install.pl extracts the files from the .tar archive to /root regardless of where you run it from. That strikes me as a potential problem for anyone who allowed the Fedora installation to partition its filesystems to the default size. I made / several times larger than the default for this installation of FC4.

Anyway, the log file does not contain the message that closes install.pl:

All of the extra files seem to have been installed correctly.  It remains for
you to execute the following commands:

cd /root/loncapa-N.N     (N.N should correspond to a version number like '0.4')
./UPDATE

If you have any trouble, please see http://install.loncapa.org/ and
http://help.loncapa.org/.
ENDMSG
}

If that message was supposed to appear only on the terminal screen then I suppose it probably isn't a problem for most people whose terminal windows don't lock up during the compilation. At this point, install.pl seems to have set up httpd to start on boot, but not loncontrol.

My other major problem is that I don't see a way that I could have ended my installation with the 2.0.1 version and not gone all the way to 2.1.0 without having had a chance to test the OS upgrade by itself.

Having now run /root/loncapa-2.1.0/UPGRADE, I note that the (considerable) output from that ended at:
capaFormulaLexer.c: In function â

The WARNINGS file looks OK.

Preliminary checks are positive. We still have more checking to do, though.

Paul