[LON-CAPA-admin] upgrade inquires

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Thu Jan 5 17:29:05 EST 2006

Hi Paul,

> Wierd! I followed instructions, got to the point of running install.pl, which hung up the terminal at:
>
> [root at lon-capa installation]# ./install.pl
> Compiling pwauth
> pwauth.c: In function ?

It stopped while doing the pwauth compile? that seems odd, since that
also needs to finish before the Mysql stuff runs (which seems to have
at least started since you list it below as having started)

Perhaps you ssh connection died in the middle of the run?

> So, after a minute or two, I opened another SSH terminal window, cd to the installation directory, found loncapa_install.log and looked at it.
>
> It said:
> PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
> To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h lon-capa.bsu.edu password 'new-password'
> See the manual for more instructions.

Hrrm, install.pl doesn't generate these messages. Looks like something
changed in how mysql does stuff. sigh.

Can you try this:

mysql -u www --password="localhostkey" loncapa

if you get a prompt type in

show tables;

you should see somthing like:

mysql> show tables;
+-------------------+
| Tables_in_loncapa |
| metadata          |

And you are likely good to go.

If not we'll need to fix up mysql database.

But you should be relatively good to go (some STAT/CHRT functions, and
resource searching won't work until we do.)

--
guy at albertelli.com   0-7-1-8-27,137