[LON-CAPA-admin] upgrade inquires

Neubauer, Paul R. prn at bsu.edu
Thu Jan 5 16:27:29 EST 2006

Wierd! I followed instructions, got to the point of running install.pl, which hung up the terminal at:

[root at lon-capa installation]# ./install.pl

                    Welcome to LON-CAPA

This script will configure the base software that LON-CAPA needs to
run properly.

Creating user 'www'
useradd: user www exists
Building authentication system for LON-CAPA users.
patching file /tmp/pwauth-2.2.8/config.h

Compiling pwauth
pwauth.c: In function â

So, after a minute or two, I opened another SSH terminal window, cd to the installation directory, found loncapa_install.log and looked at it.

It said:
PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h lon-capa.bsu.edu password 'new-password'
See the manual for more instructions.

so I did:
[root at lon-capa installation]# /etc/init.d/mysqld start
Starting MySQL:                                            [  OK  ]
[root at lon-capa installation]# /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password '****'
[root at lon-capa installation]# /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h lon-capa.bsu.edu pa
ssword '****'
/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'lon-capa.bsu.edu' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'