[LON-CAPA-admin] upgrade inquires

Neubauer, Paul R. prn at bsu.edu
Tue Jan 3 14:38:24 EST 2006

I'm about to do an upgrade too. We're currently running Fedora Core 2.

> We gernerally suggest the process of doing a reinstall:
>
> http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-admin/2004-Novembe
>r/000771.html

This link says:

}2. Do a clean install (not an upgrade) of the operating
} system as per the instructions on http://install.loncapa.org/.
} If /home is a separate partition you can leave it unformatted
} to avoid step 3.

}3. Restore your /home directory

}4. Restore your /etc/httpd/conf/loncapa.conf

}5. Install LON-CAPA as per the instructions.

I understand everything up to this point. Won't reinstalling LON-CAPA overwrite all the settings I had so carefully preserved? Most of LON-CAPA is in the /home directory but when I run install.pl that would replace a lot of that, wouldn't it? I'm doing the OS upgrade in the first place as part of upgrading LON-CAPA from 2.0.1 to 2.1 but I certainly want to test the installation after the OS-upgrade step. Does this make any sense? It looks like I'd have to reinstall (essentially from scratch) 2.0.1, which would mean that I don't really have the current installation to test. I really don't like the prospect of installing a fresh OS and then wiping out my current LON-CAPA installation for a fresh install of that.

Am I missing something? I would guess so, but I'm not sure what. Step 5 (instructions at http://install.loncapa.org/FC4_install.html ) appears to instruct me to reinstall everything from scratch.

Sorry if I'm being obtuse.

Paul
--