[LON-CAPA-admin] Auto-enrollment - updating class roster

H. K. Ng ng at martech.fsu.edu
Mon Jan 10 13:06:40 EST 2005

Hi Stuart,

At 11:55 AM 1/10/2005, you wrote:
>Hi Hon-Kie,
>It is not expected that a Domain Coordinator would want to turn off this
>type of logging.
>Some questions:
>Is there actually a user in the fsu domain with username 1234?

I should have said user xxxx, not 1234 - an fsu user.

>Are the students who should be enrolled in the course which is generating
>this log message actually enrolled (each with the correct username)?

Yes, and they get re-enrolled everytime the cron job runs.

>Does ENRL -> Automated Enrollment Manager -> "View students and change
>type" show the enrollment type as "auto"?

Yes - the word auto is bold.

>The "Existing fsu user $username enrolled successfully" message is written
>to the auto-enrollment log whenever a user who already has an account in
>your LON-CAPA domain, is auto-enrolled in a course.  This should occur
>only once for a specific user in a specific course. Afterwards, whenever
>the cron job runs, the Enrollment::update_LC() should see that that user
>is in the LON-CAPA classlist and not try to repeat the enrollment.

That is what I see for the other courses but for this one course, every
student gets the message

Existing fsu user xxxx enrolled successfully.

>If you are seeing this for every student in a single course, I would
>recommend looking at the temporary XML file being generated for this
>course when the cron job runs autoenroll.  As the temporary files are
>removed after the autoenroll process completes you will need to modify the
>fetch_enrollment() function in your custom
>/home/httpd/lib/perl/localenroll.pm file to preserve a copy of the XML
>file in a different location (from the expected location in
>/home/httpd/perl/tmp), so you can take a look at it.  The fact that the
>username is always 1234 suggests that your fetch_enrollment routine may be
>building an XML file with a record in for each student with an erroneous
>username (1234).

I will try to do this during a quite time - Friday morning. I will let you
know if I find something funny.

Thanks,
-hk