[LON-CAPA-admin] Auto-enrollment - updating class roster

Stuart Peter Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Jan 10 11:55:08 EST 2005

Hi Hon-Kie,

It is not expected that a Domain Coordinator would want to turn off this
type of logging.

Some questions:
Is there actually a user in the fsu domain with username 1234?
Are the students who should be enrolled in the course which is generating
this log message actually enrolled (each with the correct username)?
Does ENRL -> Automated Enrollment Manager -> "View students and change type"
show the enrollment type as "auto"?

The "Existing fsu user $username enrolled successfully" message is written
to the auto-enrollment log whenever a user who already has an account in
your LON-CAPA domain, is auto-enrolled in a course.  This should occur only
once for a specific user in a specific course. Afterwards, whenever the cron
job runs, the Enrollment::update_LC() should see that that user is in the
LON-CAPA classlist and not try to repeat the enrollment.

If you are seeing this for every student in a single course, I would
recommend looking at the temporary XML file being generated for this course
when the cron job runs autoenroll.  As the temporary files are removed after
the autoenroll process completes you will need to modify the
fetch_enrollment() function in your custom
/home/httpd/lib/perl/localenroll.pm file to preserve a copy of the XML file
in a different location (from the expected location in
/home/httpd/perl/tmp), so you can take a look at it.  The fact that the
username is always 1234 suggests that your fetch_enrollment routine may be
building an XML file with a record in for each student with an erroneous
username (1234).

Note: because the call to localenroll() is actually made by lonsql you will
need to kill the lonsql process, and then do
"/etc/init.d/loncontrol start" to restart lonsql in order for any changes in
/home/httpd/lib/perl/localenroll.pm to take effect.

Select the CC role for the course that is generating this message and use
ENRL -> Automated Enrollment Manager -> "Update roster now" to do an update.
Any "Existing fsu user $username enrolled successfully" messages will be
written to the screen.  You should also view the preserved XML files via the
command line on the library server.

Please let me know what you find out.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA support/development