[LON-CAPA-admin] Re: upgrading

H. K. Ng ng at martech.fsu.edu
Thu Dec 16 14:40:46 EST 2004

Hi Matthew,

>>Separate question: Has anyone install oracle 9.2.0 on Fedora Core 2? I am
>>having trouble getting it to work - more to do with DBD-Oracle not
>>wanting to install properly.
>
>I've seen questions like this come by the DBI-Users mailing list
>http://dbi.perl.org/support/

 From the listing, one that is similar to my problem has the following
answer from the author of DBD-Oracle:

       The kinds of errors you're seeing look very odd.

       I suggest you upgrade to 5.8.6 and rebuild perl (or perhaps build
       a new perl and install it somewhere else). Ideally without threading
       enabled.

So questions.
1. Is it safe to upgrade to perl 5.8.6? Currently, it is 5.8.3.
2. How does one rebuild perl?
3. How does one turn off threading?

Thanks,
-hk