[LON-CAPA-admin] Re: upgrading

Matthew Brian Hall hallmat3 at msu.edu
Thu Dec 16 10:54:56 EST 2004

Hi Hon-Kie

> What is the proper way to use old passwd, shadow file etc in the new
> installation? Simply copying it over does not seem to work. What about the
> users that are under /home? Do I need to run adduser for each?

 From my earlier email:

6. Install whatever else you need (authentication code, samba config
 files, etc).  If you have filesystem authenticated users to restore
 do so by copying the appropriate lines from the saved passwd,
 shadow, groups, and gshadow files.  If you have users with
 old-style crypt passwords you should probably re-create the users
 and give them MD5 passwords.

Running adduser is another option, although you must assign passwords to the
users.  It would be wise to specify the uid when running adduser.

This might be a good time to reduce the number of users able to log in to
your system.  As domain coordinator you can change a users authentication
from filesystem to internal, although I'm not entirely sure how well it
works when the user does not currently exist on the system.  Guy or Ron
could comment on this.

> Separate question: Has anyone install oracle 9.2.0 on Fedora Core 2? I am
> having trouble getting it to work - more to do with DBD-Oracle not wanting
> to install properly.

I've seen questions like this come by the DBI-Users mailing list
http://dbi.perl.org/support/

Matthew

Matthew Hall           hallmat3 at msu.edu
LON-CAPA developer