[LON-CAPA-admin] load averages / min requirements?

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Wed Dec 15 12:31:47 EST 2004

Hi Peter,

>     Do you guys have any guidelines for machine power per student?

Not exactly as usage levels, and problem complexity can be a bigger
 influence at times.

> Or maybe just some examples of what's in use -- particularly the dev
> team?

Here we are running

- a Quad Xeon 1.5 GHz 6GB mem for the library server
- 5 dual Xeon 1.8 GHz 4GB mem for access servers
- 2 dual Xeon 3.0 GHz 4GB mem for access servers

The 1.8GHZ machines worked well for up to about 150 simulatenoeus
active users.

I expect the 3.0 to work well up to 250 active users but haven't seen
that occur yet,

>     We've been running LC 1.2.0 on a FC1 machine

1.2.0 has some nasty speed issues. 1.2.1 corrected problems with this,
1.2.1 is significantly speedier doig some very common operations
(NAV screen, displaying discussion, answering problems)

Just upgrading to 1.2.1 would seriously help.

> The machine is a dual 2G P4-Xeon
> with 1G of RAM and has been doing just dandy up until, say, this
> week.

> However, am I crazy in thinking that
> that is plenty of machine to handle a single, 200-student class?

That machine should be fine.

--
guy at albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-2-