[LON-CAPA-admin] load averages / min requirements?

Peter Kovac kovac at gwu.edu
Wed Dec 15 10:46:16 EST 2004

Greetings~

    Do you guys have any guidelines for machine power per student?  Or
maybe just some examples of what's in use -- particularly the dev team?

    We've been running LC 1.2.0 on a FC1 machine  this semester or a
single class of under 200 students.  The machine is a dual 2G P4-Xeon
with 1G of RAM and has been doing just dandy up until, say, this week.
We've started getting some complaints about load times and load levels,
coincidentally about an hour before the final homework set was due.

    I'm still looking over the logs and my initial suspicion is that
it's a problem with network load.  Due to some lovely university
politics the machine is, unfortunately, sitting on a 100bT port
connected into the department's network instead of in the university
data center with a much fatter pipe.  As I said, most of the forensics
and testing is still ahead of me.  However, am I crazy in thinking that
that is plenty of machine to handle a single, 200-student class?  All
200 trying to rush a homework set in the last 15 minutes might cause
some trouble but the logs don't seem to indicate that level of activity.

    Thanks,
    -P

--
"Wait!  I'm getting one of those things.  You know, a headache with
pictures." --Fry

e: kovac at gwu.edu
o: (202) 994-3811
f: (202) 994-3001