[LON-CAPA-admin] hosts.tab update

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Thu Sep 18 15:36:00 EDT 2003

Hi Todd,

> Unfortunately, the manual restart seems to send a fragmented (multipart)
> message, which our campus virus scanner detects and promptly deletes
> because of the fear of splitting up viruses in this manner, and all I
> get is a virus warning email.
>
> However, when the cron job runs every morning, the message sent appears
> to not be fragmented, because those messages get through our virus
> scanner just fine.
>
> Any ideas what causes this difference?  Is it deliberate?

It seems to me that in both cases we use metasend, in the case of the
from clean restart, the amount of info to send is larger (due to more
errors being generated because nothing is running etc) and thus
metasend tries to be 'intelligent' and not send one huge email.

If you want to defeat this edit /home/httpd/perl/loncron

You'll see at the bottom
  system("metasend -b -t $emailto -s '$subj' -f $statusdir/index.html -m text/html");

Change this to
  system("metasend -S 4000000 -b -t $emailto -s '$subj' -f $statusdir/index.html -m text/html");

> And while I'm on the subject, any ideas why I get errors reported when I
> do the restart by hand, but the cron job doesn't report any?

The fact that lonc, lond, lonhttpd, and lonsql aren't running is
considered an error.

Perhaps it should be a bit smarter and recognize that in this case it
would be an error if they were running.

But it seems like a lot of work for not a lot of gain. . .

--
guy at albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-5-7-