[LON-CAPA-admin] samba questions

Lars Jensen jensen at physics.unr.edu
Mon Oct 14 13:04:50 EDT 2002

Samba ia now running on our production server (thanks, Scott), and I
just want to make sure that I haven't missed anything obvious in terms
of securing the the samba access. I have included my smb.conf below. Is
there anything in there that is not necessary? Is there anything that
should be added? Basically all I want is for users to be able to put
files in their construction space. Also, is samba affected by the
settings in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.allow? (My hosts.allow and
hosts.deny are more restrictive than my smb.conf's "hosts allow"
setting.)

Another question is whether samba will automatically restart if the
system reboots? I had to start samba manually with /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb.
How do I make sure that samba loads at bootup?

Thanks,
Lars.

My smb.conf:
--------------------------------------
[global]
hosts allow = 134.197.122.
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 0
encrypt passwords = yes
dns proxy = no
#
[priv]
comment = Lon-CAPA private files
path = /home/%u/public_html
public = no
writeable = yes
create mask = 0664
force create mode = 0775
force directory mode = 0775
default case = lower
preserve case = no
short preserve case = no

Lars Jensen, TMCC/Vista B200, 7000 Dandini Blvd, Reno NV 89512-3999.
Internet: <jensen at physics.unr.edu>, http://www.scsr.nevada.edu/~jensen
Tel: 775.673.7113  FAX: 775.674.7592