[LON-CAPA-admin] Kernel upgrade: segmentation fault

Lars Jensen jensen at physics.unr.edu
Fri Dec 27 13:32:22 EST 2002

Do we have a list of the rpm's needed for lon-capa. This machine is
dedicated to lon-capa, so I don't want to install anymore than I need.
Could someone please let me know what rpm's to install, or what
installation options to choose, when doing a RH 7.3 fresh-install.

Thanks,
Lars.

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Guy Albertelli II wrote:

> Hi Lars,
>
> > 1) If I tar /home and /etc including subdirectories, do I then need
>      the
> >    backup?
>
> backup is never a bad idea.
>
> > 3) Now that I need to do a fresh install, what is the suggested
>      partition
> >    of the hard drive?
>
> We haven't any suggestions.
>
> Note that Lon-CAPA is almost entirely contained in /home
>
> Because of this we usually have /home as a seperate partition.
>
> > 4) So is this the procedure?
> >       a) Fresh-install 7.3
> >       b) restore /home and /etc from the tar backup
> >       c) re-install lon-capa
>
> What we did
>
> a) Fresh-install 7.3
> b) restore /home
> c) install loncapa 0.6 using the tarfile and script for RH7.3
> d) use backup version of /etc to restore customizations as needed
>    (i.e. restore passwd entries, group entries, smb.conf etc)
>

> Another procedure that worked but isn't suggested.
> a) do a 7.3 upgrade
> b) reinstall loncapa-0.6 using the tarfile and script for RH7.3
> c) start httpd
> d) figure out missing rpm from error message
> e) go to c until httpd stops complaing on startup
>
> --
> guy at albertelli.com          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS
> Guy Albertelli -7-7-7-  O-
>     I would love to but . . . it wouldn't be fair to the other Beautiful
>     People.

Lars Jensen, TMCC/Vista B200, 7000 Dandini Blvd, Reno NV 89512-3999.
Internet: <jensen at physics.unr.edu>, http://www.scsr.nevada.edu/~jensen
Tel: 775.673.7113  FAX: 775.674.7592