[LON-CAPA-admin] Kernel upgrade: segmentation fault

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Sun Dec 22 20:06:22 EST 2002

Hi Lars,

> 1) If I tar /home and /etc including subdirectories, do I then need
     the
>    backup?

backup is never a bad idea.

> 3) Now that I need to do a fresh install, what is the suggested
     partition
>    of the hard drive?

We haven't any suggestions.

Note that Lon-CAPA is almost entirely contained in /home

Because of this we usually have /home as a seperate partition.

> 4) So is this the procedure?
>       a) Fresh-install 7.3
>       b) restore /home and /etc from the tar backup
>       c) re-install lon-capa

What we did

a) Fresh-install 7.3
b) restore /home
c) install loncapa 0.6 using the tarfile and script for RH7.3
d) use backup version of /etc to restore customizations as needed
   (i.e. restore passwd entries, group entries, smb.conf etc)

Another procedure that worked but isn't suggested.
a) do a 7.3 upgrade
b) reinstall loncapa-0.6 using the tarfile and script for RH7.3
c) start httpd
d) figure out missing rpm from error message
e) go to c until httpd stops complaing on startup

--
guy at albertelli.com          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS
Guy Albertelli -7-7-7-  O-