[LON-CAPA-admin] Kernel upgrade: segmentation fault

Lars Jensen jensen at physics.unr.edu
Sun Dec 22 17:35:50 EST 2002

Hi Guy and Scott,

1) If I tar /home and /etc including subdirectories, do I then need the
   backup?

2) I'm surprised that things will go well with the 6.2 /etc
   subdirectories. Is this really so?

3) Now that I need to do a fresh install, what is the suggested partition
   of the hard drive?

4) So is this the procedure?
	a) Fresh-install 7.3
	b) restore /home and /etc from the tar backup
	c) re-install lon-capa

Or is b) and c) reversed?
Did I forget anything?

Thanks,
Lars.

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Guy Albertelli II wrote:

> Hi Lars,
>
> > Thanks for the answer. If I upgrade, wouldn't it make more sense to
> > upgrade to the latest RedHat version?
>
> RH 8.0 installs apache 2.0, loncapa currently does not run in apache
> 2.0
>
> > And what is involved in the upgrade - is it relatively smooth?
>
> We did 10 upgrades on Friday.
>
> We found that doing a 'install' rather than 'upgrade' was generally
> easier, you will need to preserve both /home and the files from /etc.
>
> I also suggest having a good recent backup in case you have any
> problems.
>
> --
> guy at albertelli.com          BM: n^20 t20 z20 qS
> Guy Albertelli -7-7-7-  O-
>     I would love to but . . . I have some real hard words to look
>     up in the dictionary.

Lars Jensen, TMCC/Vista B200, 7000 Dandini Blvd, Reno NV 89512-3999.
Internet: <jensen at physics.unr.edu>, http://www.scsr.nevada.edu/~jensen
Tel: 775.673.7113  FAX: 775.674.7592