[LON-CAPA-admin] Avoidance of Tolerance Range/ Sig figures errors?

Ray Batchelor batchelo at sfu.ca
Thu Jan 15 14:31:23 EST 2009

Looks to me like the problem requires an answer with exactly 3 sig figs, but
the computers answer (which might be generated algorithmically) has only two
sig figs in this particular instance.  If you are the author, you might
change that by specifying 2E format for the answer display.
Alternatively, you 'might' ensure that the answers do not ever come out to
be an exact multiple (of 1E7, in this case).

If you are not the author, then you might, as course coordinator, change the
minimum sig figs allowed to be less than 3.

--
Raymond J. Batchelor, Ph.D.
Department of Chemistry