[LON-CAPA-admin] Avoidance of Tolerance Range/ Sig figures errors?

Eric Harvey/FS/VCU teharvey at vcu.edu
Thu Jan 15 13:44:19 EST 2009

A question from one of our instructors...

been able to figure out the following error that comes up periodically:
ERROR: Computer's answer is incorrect ("280000000"). It is likely that the
tolerance range [279972000, 280028000] or significant figures [3s, 3s]
need to be adjusted. As far as I can tell the problem works appropriately,
but it plants bombs and floods my e-mail.  Can you explain how to avoid
this error?"

I'm seeing a couple of posts to the mailing list stating that it is "one
of lon-capa's oldest bugs", but I don't really see the explanation she
needs. Any help on how to avoid the error would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric Harvey
VCU Learning Systems