[LON-CAPA-admin] Action : Invalid Access

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Jan 7 16:04:24 EST 2009

Hon Kie,

Your second report is puzzling.

loncontrol stop/start/restart in neither 2.7.99.1 nor 2.7.99.0 will
report anything about lonhttpd.  (This lightweight httpd daemon has
been eliminated from LON-CAPA 2.8 due to institutional
policies/firewall issues for non-standard ports (such as 8080, where
lonhttpd listened).

However, stop/start/restart in LON-CAPA 2.7.1 (and previous versions)
will report actions for this daemon.  That said the previous use of
the lightweight http daemon to serve a number of commonly used items,
such as icons etc. would seem to be unrelated to the reported "Invalid
Access" error for /res/fsu/ng/mathReview/geometry/arcLength.problem

"Invalid Access" is a response generated by lonacc.pm when
&Apache::lonnet::symbverify() returns 0.  This can occur if there is a
problem with the symb (a resource identifier which includes the url,
as well as map context), or if the url of the resource is absent from
the corresponding /home/httpd/perl/tmp/$uname_$udom_$cnum.db file
(e.g., 	/home/httpd/perl/tmp/raeburn_msu_33803011027874598msul1.db)
which contains  information about resources in a course.  This .db
file is initially constructed during course initialization after a
role is selected in a course.

I don't see any difference between 2.7.99.0 and 2.7.99.1 as far as
this behavior is concerned.  My guess is that the loncontrol restart
re-enabled connectivity between access server and library server such
that the next time the $uname_$udom_$cnum.db file in
/home/httpd/perl/tmp
  was updated (for a specific user for the particular course) the
information form the course's homeserver about available resources was
complete and symbverify() returned a true value for the symb for the
/res/fsu/ng/mathReview/geometry/arcLength.problem resource.

I tested this out in the MSU domain using a student role in a session
running on a 2.7.1 access server for a course on a library server
running 2.7.99.1, which I assume is the configuration you had (based
on the versions numbers reported by the log-in pages for the various
FSU LON-CAPA servers).  I did not encounter the "Invalid Access"
condition for an instance of your resource:
/res/fsu/ng/mathReview/geometry/arcLength.problem which I had included
in my course, when either first displaying the resource, or
subsequently submitting an answer.

I would recommend replacing 2.7.99.0 with 2.7.99.1 on a production
server, as the latter does fix a few small issues in the 99.0 version
(the initial testing release for 2.8).

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group