[LON-CAPA-admin] Red Hat 9?

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Mon Aug 4 20:46:13 EDT 2003

Hi Jason,

> I'm a lon-capa newbie and I'm trying to get lon-capa installed on
> RedHat 9. I've got a nasty suspicion that the new mod_perl that ships
> with RH9 breaks lon-capa.

There are 2 options when dealing with RH9, both are not fully tested
and you may see some strange errors. Please let me know if you see any
of these.

Also for both of the options you will also need to build and install
many CPAN modules by hand. Running the TEST script provided in the
loncapa tar file will generate a CPAN_STATUS_REPORT that will let you
know what is missing and what is needed

1) Run Apache 1.3.X

uninstall apache 2 and mod_perl 1.99.X and instead install apache
1.X and mod_perl 1.26ish

To make this somewhat easy I have rebuilt the 7.3 rpms on redhat 8 and
they should work on both 8 and 9. You can find the neccessary RPMS
here:
http://install.loncapa.org/resources/rh8/

You will also need to replace the tth.so in the loncapa tar file with
the tth.so that is up in the above location.

You will also need to use at least loncapa-0.99.3

2) Run Apache 2.X

You will need at least 1.99_09 of mod_perl

you can try building it from source (I have done this successfully) or
get the version from Redhat RawHide (I have not tried this out)

With this installed may need to muck around with loncapa_apache.conf
at little to get things running.

Either way keep me updated on any progress good or bad.

We hopefully succeed in internally getting a machine up and running
on RH9 in the next few weeks too.

> Invalid command 'PerlCleanupHandler', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by
> a module not included in the server configuration

They finally reimplemented this directive in mod_perl 1.99_09

--
guy at albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-6-1-