[LON-CAPA-users] Making exams

Ray Batchelor lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:35:40 -0700

On October 1, 2003 02:29 pm, Guy Albertelli II wrote:
> > 2) kept as a simple numerical question but in a format suitable for the
> > printed exam (and of course still gradable as a numerical answer).  I
realise
> > that I could probably just keep the problem as a regular problem, but
there
> > are some printout issues that may need to be addressed, in that case.
>
> I expect that for now I want to try leaving this as a regular problem.
>
> What are the specific printout issues that you see?

Well... fussy little things mainly:

I did this already with one scantron quiz.  Messed around a bit deciding which
PARMS to set for which questions. Some residual issues were:

1) For problemstyle "checkout", type "problem", problemstatus "No",
   the printout still displays the "Tries 0/99" (if tries not set) or "Tries
0/1" (if set to 1).

2) While problems of type "Exam" seem to get the number of pts displayed in
the printout.  The problems of type "problem" do not.

3) While the problems of type "Exam" got numbered (each part).  Problems of
type "problem" did not.  This was actually fortunate in this instance because
I wanted to have the numerical ones in a separate section from the multiple
choice ones and so wanted to start numbering from 1 again.  I finally
hardcoded the problem number into the problem statement outtext block for the
numerical ones.

3.1) While I'm thinking of parts -- the parts points did not get included in
the printout, only the problem points.

4) Could get it to print in 2 column mode but not 1 column.  Not sure if this
is just me or some little bug in the latex conversion.

I foresee a wagon-load of tedious little printing issues to be navigated in
order to produce printed exam sheets that people will be happy with.

Cheers?
Ray