[LON-CAPA-users] Odd path for map

Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:39:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Lars,

> Why is the top level map for my physics course ginen as:
> uploaded/tmcc/20594382f2e3eaftmcc1/default.sequence
>
> It used to be something more sinlible, like
> /res/msu/mmn/phys231c.sequence
>
> What is the point here?

We have bee keeping this a secret.

But it was done just to confuse you.

:-)

Actually,

The whole DOCS things was done like this

All courses have a user directory.

We wanted to make some real easy interface to adding simple things to
lon-capa

We want to be able to upload resources to a course that would only be
available in that course.

Why not stick it in the courses home directory?

So that is what we did.

All url's that are of the form

/uploaded/domain/username/something

Get translated to

/home/httpd/lonUsers/domain/u/s/r/username/userfiles/something

This way we have this space that isn't published and thus isn't
persistant.

But makes it reall nice and easy for us to add features for throwaway
style resources.

It also means that savvy users can still save throw away sequences and
resources by copying them out of this directory.

However we still needed to support old style courses where the
toplevel map is published. So you can still set the toplevel map the
something else.

But then you won't get the Main Documents section, because DOCS never
publishes anything.

--
guy@albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-6-1-