[LON-CAPA-users] Changes in running course??

Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:39:10 -0500 (EST)

Hi Lars,

> Assuming that you already opened the problem up to your class:
>
> > How deep changes can be made in a running course?

Any change that you make should be reversible.

No data for the student is ever deleted. So you can rtemove a problem
and then reinsert it again later. But it will need to be in the same
map and get the same id number in that map.

> > For example, what changes can i make in a problem?

Most changes are fine, the random number generator can causes concerns
though,

adding <foils> to a problem or changing it to or from unused can chage
what a students correct answer is, but changing the text of foild or
other portions should be fine. Adding more &random() calls after all
of the other &random() calls should be fine.

> > Can I add parts to a problem?
>
> If the problem was already in parts, adding a part is ok.

I concur.

> If it isn't in parts, then you'd be introducing a part id to the
> first answer that was previously just wrapped in the <problem> tag.
> If it's allowed, I would think that you could call the original
> problem <part id="0"> and it would work.  Anyone know if this is
> allowed?

This is not allowed and may cause serious issues with this particular problem.

If you want to add parts to a single part problem you can do this, but
it will look like a fresh new problem to the students.

> > Can I
> > change a problem with multiple responses in a single part to a problem
> > with the same responses in multiple parts?
>
> You could, but the students who answered the problem would have to redo
> the problem because data is stored based on the part id.  The default id
> of problem with no parts is 0.
>
> > Can these changes be made if
> > no-one has attempted the problem?
>
> Yes.

They can also be made when a student has attemted the problem, but
their status on the problem will be reset to unattempted.

--
guy@albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-7-1-