[LON-CAPA-users] System Requirements?

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 21:46:24 -0500

Todd,

A large library server will be able to host two 400 student classes just
fine, unless you intend to run quizzes where all students will be online at
the same time. The next setup that makes sense is one library server and
TWO access servers.

As a general guide, library servers should be fast on I/O, while access
servers should be fast processors. The most crucial component of your
server, however, will be memory. We recommend at least one GB of RAM, and
have been buying 2 GB ourselves.

Library servers need backup, access servers don't.

I would suggest to start with one library server, and add access servers
later if needed.

Library machine (could easily run your 800 kids): Dell  PowerEdge, Dual
Processor, 2 GB RAM, Suggested HD: 3 drives in RAID 5, one as hot swap, DLT
backup tape.

Price*:$7,449.72

  Date:
                                      Friday, February 28, 2003 8:42:08 PM
CST
  Catalog Number:
                                      25 Retail RC958996
  PowerEdge 4600:
                                      PowerEdge 4600,Intel Xeon 2.4GHZ/512K
Cache
                                      46240 - [ 221-0364 ]
  Additional Processors:
                                      2nd Processor,Intel Xeon 2.4GHZ/512K
Cache
                                      2P240 - [ 311-1849 ]
  Memory:
                                      2GB DDR SDRAM 4X512MB
                                      2GB4D - [ 311-0997 ]
  Keyboard:
                                      No Keyboard Option
                                      N - [ 310-3281 ]
  Monitors:
                                      No Monitor Option
                                      N - [ 320-0058 ]
  1st Hard Drive:
                                      36GB 15K RPM Ultra 160 SCSI Hard
Drive
                                      36GB15 - [ 340-6749 ]
  Primary Controller:
                                      PERC3-DC
Card,128MB,1-Internal,1-External Channels
                                      P3D128I - [ 340-2488 ]
  Diskette Drive:
                                      3.5in,1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE
                                      FD - [ 340-2903 ]
  Operating Systems:
                                      NO OS - O = OTHER
                                      NOOS/O - [ 310-1261 420-4106 ]
  Mouse:
                                      No Mouse Option
                                      N - [ 310-0024 ]
  Tape Backup Unit:
                                      PV110T DLT1 Tape Backup 40/80G
Capacity,Half Height,No Controller Internal
                                      DL1HNI - [ 340-5993 ]
  CDROM or DVDROM:
                                      24X IDE CD-ROM
                                      CD24X - [ 313-0317 ]