[LON-CAPA-users] DOCS - pros and cons?

Travis Souza lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:34:58 -0800

--=_2C732F36.50315A80

Mark,

I agree with your assesment.  The docs feature will be a lifesaver if
the cons you listed can be addressed.  It would definitely be nice to
export the sequence file(s) generated by the docs tool.  With a Course
Coord that is also an author it could dump the sequence to the
construction space.  For non-authors it could export the xml file to
save on disk and then later upload to a construction space.

I would guess the big problem would be non-published internal documents
uploaded or generated through the docs tool.  Published and external
resources should be okay if the sequence can be exported..correct?

Would it be possible to export non published resources as their
respective file types?

Travis

Travis Souza, Coordinator
Instructional Center for Innovation
Truckee Meadows Community College
775-674-7505
tsouza@tmcc.edu

>>> lucas@lucas.phy.ohiou.edu 01/23/03 06:34AM >>>
Gerd (and anyone else),

    We too are looking into the DOCS shortly as the easiest way to get

someone going on the system. What are the pros and cons of using DOCS?

What are the limitations that we may not have considered yet?

Are the following statements accurate?

pro: upload course-only documents simply without going through a
publication process.

pro: simple templates are provided for some standard documents

con: cannot reuse items that have not been published.

con: sequences put together under DOCs cannot be re-used elsewhere. Ie,

you can't paste together an assignment in a 'dry-run' course under docs

and then move it into a 'running' course.

con: you cannot 'duplicate' your course later for another course.

Thanks!
Mark

--=_2C732F36.50315A80

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4922.900" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=2>Mark,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I agree with your assesment.&nbsp; The docs feature will be a
lifesaver if the cons you listed can be addressed.&nbsp; It would definitely be
nice to export the sequence file(s) generated by the docs tool.&nbsp; With a
Course Coord that is also an author it could dump the sequence to the
construction space.&nbsp; For non-authors it could export the xml file to save
on disk and then later upload to a construction space.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I would guess the big problem would be non-published internal
documents uploaded or generated&nbsp;through the docs tool.&nbsp; Published and
external resources should be okay if the sequence can be
exported..correct?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Would it be possible to export non published resources as
their respective file types?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Travis</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Travis Souza, Coordinator<BR>Instructional Center for Innovation<BR>Truckee
Meadows Community College<BR>775-674-7505<BR><A
href="mailto:tsouza@tmcc.edu">tsouza@tmcc.edu</A> <BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;
lucas@lucas.phy.ohiou.edu 01/23/03 06:34AM &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>Gerd (and anyone
else),<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We too are looking into the DOCS shortly as the
easiest way to get <BR>someone going on the system. What are the pros and cons
of using DOCS? <BR>What are the limitations that we may not have considered
yet?<BR><BR>Are the following statements accurate?<BR><BR>pro: upload
course-only documents simply without going through a <BR>publication
process.<BR><BR>pro: simple templates are provided for some standard
documents<BR><BR>con: cannot reuse items that have not been
published.<BR><BR>con: sequences put together under DOCs cannot be re-used
elsewhere. Ie, <BR>you can't paste together an assignment in a 'dry-run' course
under docs <BR>and then move it into a 'running' course.<BR><BR>con: you cannot
'duplicate' your course later for another
Lucas&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; email: lucasm@ohiou.edu<BR>252D Clippinger Lab&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
phone: (740)597-2984<BR>Department of Physics and
Astronomy&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
fax:&nbsp;&nbsp; (740)593-0433<BR>Ohio University<BR>Athens, OH