[LON-CAPA-users] DOCS - pros and cons?

Mark Lucas lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:34:34 -0500 (EST)

Gerd (and anyone else),

	We too are looking into the DOCS shortly as the easiest way to get
someone going on the system. What are the pros and cons of using DOCS?
What are the limitations that we may not have considered yet?

Are the following statements accurate?

pro: upload course-only documents simply without going through a
publication process.

pro: simple templates are provided for some standard documents

con: cannot reuse items that have not been published.

con: sequences put together under DOCs cannot be re-used elsewhere. Ie,
you can't paste together an assignment in a 'dry-run' course under docs
and then move it into a 'running' course.

con: you cannot 'duplicate' your course later for another course.

Thanks!
Mark

Mark Lucas					email: lucasm@ohiou.edu
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701