[LON-CAPA-users] Enrolling

Felicia Berryman lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:57:29 -0400

Lars Jensen wrote:

> Today I created a new couurse I created, and then I enrolled a bunch
> of students that already had lon-capa usernames.  To enroll the
> students I needed not only to supply the their usernames, but also a
> password, and authentication method. Since these students already had
> logins, why was I required to supply passwords (and authentication
> method)? What would have happened if I didn't know the student's
> passwords?
>
> When a student already has a lon-capa login, shouldn't that be all that
> is required to enroll the student in a course?

Please put these types of requests in bugzilla.  You can't assign the
students a new password.  If fact, once their passwords are assigned,
only the students and domain coordinator can change it.  You could have
just clicked on Kerberos authentication and it would have worked fine -
what we normally do at MSU.  This feedback belongs as a bug/enhancement.

If the student already had a password and you didn't know it, you could
just put in some dummy space-holder, like "password", for those
students.  You can't change their initial password anyway.

Felicia