[LON-CAPA-users] lon-capa too picky with html

Felicia Berryman lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 15:45:07 -0400

Hi Lars,

> The standard of html required by lon-capa is higher than any other
> program I know, and higher than can be produced by any web editor that I
> know. Bluefish which produces nice html does not measure up to this
> standard, neither does tth, which Ian Hutchinson claims produces "clean"
> html. The Netscape and Mozilla editors aren't good enough either.

That's because these are HTML editors and not XML or XHTML editors.
Clean HTML can be written that will still show errors.

> This is a major problem in getting other, less html-savvy faculty,
> to be successful with lon-capa. How are they going to be able to create
> web pages in lon-capa? And if they can't do this, how are they going to
> be able to create courses?

Gerd has made templates for the syllabus and instructor information for
LON-CAPA.  This should help a bit.

> Lon-capa needs a graphical html editor that can produce html up to the
> standards required by lon-capa.

I'd suggest checking out Dreamweaver MX which you can configure to force
all the code to be XML and XHTML(strict).  You can make a bug report for
this, but I think it would be a low priority for us at this time.
Instead, I suggest making an enhancement request to Mozilla instead for
an XML editor :-)

http://wp.netscape.com/browsers/7/feedback/suggest.html
http://www.mozilla.org/editor/

Felicia