[LON-CAPA-users] lon-capa too picky with html

Lars Jensen lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 08:54:23 -0700 (PDT)

Having spent the last few days creating sample lon-capa courses for a
demo, I have come to the conclusion that lon-capa is too picky with html
pages. I created a number of course maps containing several levels of
sequence files below the top map, and the course seemed to break in the
sense that the Forward button wouldn't show up when going from a lower
level to a higher level. I believe that some of this breaking is caused
by "unclean" html in the course pages.

The standard of html required by lon-capa is higher than any other
program I know, and higher than can be produced by any web editor that I
know. Bluefish which produces nice html does not measure up to this
standard, neither does tth, which Ian Hutchinson claims produces "clean"
html. The Netscape and Mozilla editors aren't good enough either.

This is a major problem in getting other, less html-savvy faculty,
to be successful with lon-capa. How are they going to be able to create
web pages in lon-capa? And if they can't do this, how are they going to
be able to create courses?

Lon-capa needs a graphical html editor that can produce html up to the
standards required by lon-capa.

Lars.

--
Lars Jensen, TMCC/Vista B200, 7000 Dandini Blvd, Reno NV 89512-3999.
Internet: <jensen@physics.unr.edu>, http://www.scsr.nevada.edu/~jensen