[LON-CAPA-users] Student logins

Mark Lucas lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:09:06 -0400 (EDT)

Ah - the fun - so far, in a class of 240 I only have about 5 students who
have reported login problems - and most of these have managed to find
other computers that let them in. Not too bad (though I'm not excited
about the last minuters who'll crop up Friday night!)

The problems range from username and/or password not authenticated
to welcome and a blank remote.

First of all, what are the basic errors?

Not authenticated: - wrong password or username. Anything else?

Token problems: - javascript issues?

Welcome, blank remote, no roles: - cookies? Javascript?

I know that cookies, javascript, and java need to be enabled.

(1) Has anyone developed a quick test to let a student know (outside of
     LON-CAPA) that they have cookies enabled, javascript enabled, java
     enabled? A series of a couple of links one could put on a page to
     test their browser?

     If not, what would be good little things that could be checked.

(2) Does anyone have explicit browser-dependent instructions for setting
     these things (I would prefer not to reinvent the wheel).

Back into the fray.

				Mark

Mark Lucas					email: lucasm@ohiou.edu
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701