[LON-CAPA-users] Hyperbolic Trig Function Problem

Raeburn, Stuart raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Jan 29 20:50:56 EST 2020

Gene,

In a LON-CAPA script block a call to &tanh() will use the tanh() function provided by Math::Cephes, which only supports real numbers.

The Math::Cephes::Complex package, which does support complex numbers, has a ctanh() function,
but Math::Cephes::Complex is not currently available within LON-CAPA's perl safe space (where code within a script block in a LON-CAPA problem is evaluated).

Support for complex numbers in LON-CAPA's perl safe space is currently made available via the LONCAPA::LCMathComplex package, which is the standard Math::Complex module available from CPAN, but modified to work in Safe Space.

Where there is no overlap with function names used for Math::Cephes functions, then you can just use the LCMathComplex functions directly, e.g.. &cplx(), &Re(), &Im(), but where there is overlap, as is the case for tanh(), to ensure the function from LCMathComplex is called, include the full namespace identifier, e.g., &LONCAPA::LCMathComplex::tanh().

For the future I can add a set of unique function names to LON-CAPA for those functions in  LCMathComplex which overlap with function names in Math::Cephes, and then you could just call those without needing a full namespace identifier.

Anyway, as things stand today, the code below will display both real and imaginary parts for the hyperbolic tan -- tanh -- for a complex number (in this case 3 + 4i )

<script type="loncapa/perl">
$z = &cplx(3, 4);
$x = &LONCAPA::LCMathComplex::tanh($z);
$tanh_real = &Re($x);
$tanh_imag = &Im($x);
</script>
<startouttext />
tanh($z) is $x <br />
The real part is: $tanh_real <br />
The imaginary part is: $tanh_imag <br />
<endouttext />

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium