[LON-CAPA-users] in-class polling system

Lucas, Mark lucasm at ohio.edu
Sat Aug 10 19:22:35 EDT 2019

Nathan,

I do not know of anyone who has used the system for in-class polling, though some of us
think about it periodically.

There are three issues that could be issues as far as I have thought about it:

* There is some caching of parameters, so a quick change of parameters might not take
hold for as long as ten minutes, at least in older times.

* It can take a bit of time to get results as an instructor, especially as the term progresses
and the course becomes more loaded with evaluation data.

* If your class is very large, there can potentially be load issues, just as one needs to be
a little careful with exams directly on LON-CAPA.

Hope this helps. It may be that someone has found some workarounds for the issues.
I would certainly be interested in hearing.

As for OpenStax, we are also using OpenStax for both the Algebra-based and the Calc-based
sequences. Are your problems published systemwide and if so, what is the folder?
Hon-Kie has the problems from the Algebra-based phyiscs text coded down at Florida
State.

Later,
Mark