[LON-CAPA-users] keep the highest grade?

Mills, Douglas G dmills at illinois.edu
Fri Nov 9 14:31:25 EST 2018

Hi All,

I'm sure that this can be done using the Lon-Capa Spreadsheet and am guessing that there is not currently another way to do it, but let's ask.  I'm working on a series of hopefully somewhat fun activities to engage undergrads with Chemistry Lab Safety concepts. The first is a word search puzzle of lab safety terms which will generate a different puzzle every time it's accessed.  You can see it as a standalone at

http://chem.illinois.edu/WordSearch/LabSafety.html

For implementation in Lon-Capa -- because the teaching lab coordinator wants to track student completion and motivate them by giving a few points for doing it -- what seems like it would be ideal would be to provide multiple attempts with the motivation being that you keep your highest score. Since it costs points to use the hints, it seems like some students might conceivably use the hints and then be intrigued enough to want to try again for a higher score by not using the hints. However, if I were in their shoes, I'd want to be sure that if I got a lower score it wouldn't count against me, etc.  I'm thinking though that the Spreadsheet may be the only way to accomplish this at the moment, and I'd like to avoid going there if possible -- it's a learning curve for all the instructors I work with, and I myself have only worked with it a tiny bit.  Thanks for any guidance or advice!

Doug

Douglas Mills
Director of Instructional Technology
Department of Chemistry