[LON-CAPA-users] Algebra Expression Rendering in LON-CAPA

Harding, Gene L glhardin at purdue.edu
Fri Jan 13 10:29:56 EST 2017

Hi,

I am having trouble rendering an algebraic expression with a summation sign (capital Sigma). I want an expression that looks like this, using variables for the numeric portions of the expression:
[cid:image003.jpg at 01D26D87.FB7A6240]
I am able to render the integration sign using this code:
$function = "$numer/$denom  [pi + int($sum_numer/($sum_denom_n_coeff n - $sum_denom_const),1,3)*sin($w nt)]";
...providing an expression that looks like this:
[cid:image004.png at 01D26D87.FB7A6240]

But when I try to render the summation sign using this code:
$function = "$numer/$denom  [pi + sum($sum_numer/($sum_denom_n_coeff n - $sum_denom_const),n,1,3)*sin($w nt)]";
...I get the following:
[cid:image005.png at 01D26D87.FB7A6240]

I have spent a couple of hours looking through the Maxima Manual and other references, as well as some examples I have found online, but have not been able to figure out the syntax for rendering the summation sign. Can anyone offer advice on how to do this?

Also, although not so important, if someone can tell me how to replace the outer parentheses with square brackets, and/or how to display the numeric part of the sine argument with commas (e.g., 90,000 vs 90000), I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Gene L. Harding, PE
Associate Professor of ECET
574-520-4190