[LON-CAPA-users] New User Account Creation and Self-Enrollment in a Course

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed May 18 00:15:40 EDT 2016

Amos,

The subscribers to either the lon-capa-admin list, or the lon-capa-dev
list, are likely a better fit for your question, but since you posted
to the lon-capa-users list, I'll reply here.

I have just committed a change to the LON-CAPA source code repository
(CVS)  with the change needed to support a user-supplied
"Student/Employee ID" in the case where a user self-creates a LON-CAPA
account using an e-mail address as username.

See:
http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-cvs/Week-of-Mon-20160516/027046.html

I will include that change in the 2.11.2 release which I'll be making
available ahead of this year's LON-CAPA conference (which happens next
week).

After that change, as domain coordinator you'll be able to select
"Student/Employee ID" as a required field in Main Menu > Set domain
configuration > Display ("Users self creating accounts checked") for
"Data provided by All users" in the "Self-creation with e-mail as
username" panel.

I would caution that if you allow users to provide their own
Student/Employee IDs when creating an account in LON-CAPA they may
enter an incorrect ID.

It is preferred if users can authenticate using an institutional
username and password, and then populate user information (including
student/employee ID) automatically. LON-CAPA supports that once you
have customized /home/httpd/lib/perl/localenroll.pm to establish a
conduit to institutional directory information (e.g., LDAP).

Of course it may be that in the case of a placement test, students
have not yet received institutional usernames (although they may have
been assigned student IDs).

I would also note that the domain configuration for users
self-creating accounts already includes the ability for a user to
provide his/her own "Student Employee ID" when self-creating an
account if the user authenticates using an institutional username and
password (i.e., either institutional log-in or Single Sign On), and no
directory information source is available.

It's one of the six checkboxes available in the "Institutional user
type (login/SSO self-creation/Information user can enter" panel in the
"Users self-creating accounts" domain configuration.

If, however, you are not using institutional authentication, but
allowing users to create their own accounts by providing an e-mail
address as username then in LON-CAPA 2.11.0 and 2.11.1 the choice of
(optional) fields which you could request from a user is as follows:

- First Name
- Last Name
- School/college/university
- School's web address
- School's city, state/province, country
- E-mail address at institution (if different)

in addition to the required fields:

- E-mail address to be used as username
- Password.

Stuart Raeburn